|mussels in curry broth|
Mussels in Curry Broth (serves 1 or 2)
2 lbs fresh mussels, scrub, de-beard, and wash in cold water
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 C chopped onions
1 scallion, chopped
1 Tbsp Madras curry powder
25 Thai basil leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk
1 hot chili pepper, chopped (optional)
1 whole hot chili pepper, for garnish (optional)
1 small French bread, sliced in 1/2-inch width, toasted and rubbed with garlic
1) Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
2) Add onions and sauté about 1 minute until translucent.
3) Stir in scallions, curry powder, basil leaves, chili, and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
4) Add the mussels, coconut milk, mirin, cook and stir the pot frequent about 5-7 minutes or until the mussels open up, may cover the pot for the last 1 minute to cook the mussels further.
5) Serve mussels with toasted French bread.
|wild mussels (Star Island, NH, 2011)|
|throw away any broken shells, |
de-beard and wash the mussels
|outdoor cooking is great for|
cooking food with a strong odor
and for cooking in the heat of summer
|sauté onions, scallions, garlic, curry powder, and basil leaves|
|add the mussels and cook until all the mussels opened up|
|my favorite part of cooking...EATING!|
|now that was delicious and filling! :--)|