Herring in Tomato Sauce (serves 3-4)
Eight 8-inch fresh herring and its roe, cleaned and cut each herring in half
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 Cup diced onion
1/3 Cup chopped scallions
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
2 Cup diced vine ripened tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/3 Cup chiffonade or chopped fresh Thai basil leaves (garnish when ready to eat)
1) In a medium size pan heat oil over high heat.
2) Add onion, scallions, and garlic, sauté for 1 minute or until onion is translucent.
3) Turn heat down to medium, add sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper, sauté for 1 minute.
4) Add salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce and water, cook for 1 minute and mash 1/2 of the tomatoes with the flat part of the spatula.
5) Arrange all the herring and roe in the pan, turn heat to medium low, cover the pan and cook for 20-25 minutes.
6) Spoon the sauce over the herring and cook for 5 more minutes.
7) Add basil leaves and serve immediately.
|arrange the herring and roe in the pan|
|spoon the sauce over herring and roe|
|add the basil on top and serve|
*F/V (fishing vessel) Rimrack is a family owned fishing business located in beautiful Rye Harbor, NH. They have passion and take pride in harvesting the best and freshest seafood to sell directly to you. I know because I received these fish from them and you really cannot get them more fresh than this. One minute these fish were swimming and the next they are on your table! Thank you Rimrack for the amazingly fresh and tasty fish!! Please support and buy from your local fishermen.
*If you are interested in buying from F/V Rimrack please visit their website: http://www.rimrackfish.com. Rimrack staff is very friendly and helpful and they will happily assist you.
*You may peel and de-seed the tomatoes prior to cooking in this dish.