Stir-Fried Bitter Melon with Maine Lobster (serves 1-2)
2 Tbsp of canola oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 shallot or 1/4 of a small white onion
1 medium size bitter melon, washed, cut in half length wise, scooped out innards, sliced thinly
1 C Maine lobster meat, cut into bite size
2 large chicken eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp fish sauce
1 large pinch of black pepper
1) Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil a non-stick medium size over high heat
2) Add garlic and onion and turn down heat to medium, cook until onion is translucent.
3) Add bitter melon, 1/2 tablespoon oil and cook for 5-6 minutes.
4) Add lobster meat and cook for 1 minute.
5) Add fish sauce, pepper and eggs, cook for 1 minute or until the eggs are cooked.
6) Serve with rice.
|bitter melons at the market|
| washed, cut in half length wise,|
scooped out innards, sliced thinly
|my "mise en place" (aka set up and ready for cooking)|
|cooked Maine lobsters|
*If you prefer not to use lobster or crab meat you may add a little ground pork, chicken or turkey. I have made it with just an egg without any meat/shellfish and it was delicious.