I bought a breadfruit at the Makawao Farmer's Market (Maui) to try. They are open every Wednesday. It tastes similar to a sweet potato but better. Both my husband and I had never eaten it before and we both enjoyed it. I bought the breadfruit from Don. He can be found at the Upcountry Farmer's Market in Pukalani every Saturday. He also sells fresh galangal. Don mentioned that they are popular items at the market and do not last long. Go early if you want some! Mahalo Don, for the beautiful and tasty breadfruit!!
Chicken and Vegetable Curry (serves 2-3)
1 lb chicken thigh
1 lemongrass stalk, chopped soft part
2 T fish sauce
1 T Madras curry powder
1/8 t salt
1/2 Maui onion, cut into wedges
1 t annatto seeds
2 sprigs of fresh curry leaves
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 lb long beans, cut into 2 inch lengths, parboiled
1/2 bread fruit, cook the whole fruit until fork tender, cut out center seed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 C shredded banana blossom (please see How to Prepare Banana Blossom post)
1 carrot, cut into 1-inch lengths, parboiled
1-2 C of chopped white part of a napa cabbage, parboiled
25 fresh bell pepper leaves
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
2 T chopped fresh chives or scallions
10 fresh large basil leaves
8-10 cherry or small roma tomatoes, cut in half
1 1/2 C coconut milk
1 chicken bouillon or 1 C of chicken stock or 1 C water
2-3 T canola oil
1) Marinade the chicken in lemongrass, fish sauce, curry powder and salt for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
2) Heat 1-2 T oil in a large pan over medium high heat, add marinated chicken, cook 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken meat is just cooked, removed chicken from the pan and reserve.
3) Add 1 T oil to the pan, stir in sprigs of curry leaves and annatto seeds, fry for 2-3 minutes, discard leaves* and seeds.
4) Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
5) Stir in beans, bread fruit, banana blossom, carrot, tomatoes, and napa cabbage, cook 5 minutes.
6) Stir in pepper leaves, parsley, chives, and basil leaves, cook for 2-3 minutes.
7) Add chicken back into the pan.
8) Add coconut milk and chicken bouillon, partially cover the pan and cook for 10 more minutes.
9) May add more fish sauce to taste if desired.
10) Serve with rice.
|annatto (also known as achiote)|
inside the red pod are tiny red seeds that are used for
food coloring and flavor
|curry leaves and a seed|
(the fresh curry leaves have a strong fragrance
and I was able to smell it 100 feet away!)
|cooked and cut breadfruit|
|breadfruit and leaf|
|breadfruit and leaves|
*If you have left overs the curry tastes even better the next 1-2 days!
*The banana blossom and breadfruit are very good in this curry dish. They add a nice flavor and texture.
*The long beans are about a foot long. They need to be parboiled before you add them to this dish. They are tougher than other beans and will hold their shape during the cooking process and after reheating.
*When you fry the annatto seeds in oil you are rendering the red color for the cooking.
*After I fried the sprigs of curry leaves in oil I saved a few leaves to garnish my finished dish later.
*If you don't eat meat then you can leave out the chicken. You can use a firm fish in this dish such as ahi (tuna). Just remember not to over cook it. If you are not using chicken or fish then you can use the whole breadfruit in this dish.