I like to make my chicken broth or stock from scratch. This is a versatile recipe that can be used as a base for other recipes. The shredded chicken can be used for other dishes such as salads.
1 (about 4 lbs) whole chicken
1/2 to 1 large onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, cut in half
4 carrots, peeled, cut off ends and cut in half
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, hydrated in water, cleaned and squeezed out excess water (optional)
2 scallions, chopped
2 1/2 oz of the last 4 inches of the cilantro stem
10 whole cloves (optional)
3-inch cinnamon stick (optional)
2 t salt
1 T fish sauce
5 star anise (optional)
20 C cold water
15 slices of cooked ginger (please see Curt's Ginger Tea post) or 1 sliced and smashed 3/4 to 1 oz fresh ginger
1) In a large pot (at least 8 quarts) over high heat add chicken and enough cold water to cover the chicken.
2) Once the water is about to boil, discard all the water, wash the chicken in water.
3) Rinse the pot, return the chicken back into the pot, add all ingredients including water. Once the water boils turn heat down to medium low, skim and discard any scum that floats up, cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes.
4) Turn heat to low, remove the chicken, use a slotted spoon to remove all the vegetable and herbs.
5) Shred the chicken, cut up the vegetable you want to keep and discard the rest. Reserve the shredded chicken and cut vegetable.
6) Return the largest chicken bones back into the pot. Turn the heat to medium high.
7) Once the broth boils, turn heat down to medium low, skim and discard any scum that floats up, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
8) Remove and discard all the chicken bones and turn off heat.
9) Once the broth has cooled, keep broth refrigerated for 3-4 days. May keep in a freezer if you are not using all of the stock.