My friend Curt made this drink that I dubbed Curt's ginger tea. He gave me some in an empty whiskey bottle with a label "Curt's Drink"! I drink this tea straight with ice, mix in fruit juices, green tea, water, club soda, apple cider or blend in a smoothie. Ginger has many health benefits. One benefit is to help with nausea. Curt does not measure his ingredients when he cooks, he basically gave me vague verbal instructions on how to make this drink. He explained that he sliced some ginger and cooked it in water until it has dark yellow color. He made a second batch using the same ginger slices. Mahalo Curt for sharing this drink with me!!
Curt's Ginger Tea
1 lb ginger, cut into thin slices
24 C water
1) Heat a large pot with 12 cups of water and ginger over high heat.
2) Once the water boils turn the heat down to medium low and cook the ginger for 25 minutes.
3) Turn heat off and cover the pot and let the ginger steep for another 20 minutes (or until the color is dark yellow).
4) Remove the tea to a large glass or metal container, let the liquid cool.
5) Add the other 12 cups of water to the pot and repeat the steps for the second batch.
6) Once complete, mix the two batches together, store in a glass container and refrigerate.
|sliced ginger in a pot|
*You can discard the ginger slices once your tea is made or you can save them for cooking later. I added some sugar to the tender pieces and make candies out of them. I also chopped some of the sliced ginger and used them in stir fry dishes.
*If you have access to fresh galangal (also known as galanga or blue ginger) then you can make galangal tea using the same recipe. You may find Don for fresh galangal at the Upcountry Farmer's Market (Maui) on Saturday. Go early because this is a very popular item!!