This is a quick stir-fry using local Maui ingredients. My friends Rinko and Curt introduced bell pepper leaves to my cooking and I was excited to give it a try. The result is delicious! Mahalo Rinko and Curt!!
12 large napa cabbage leaves, cut into 1/4 inch lengths
10 large bell pepper leaves, stack and cut into 1/4 inch lengths
1 lb Maui ground beef
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 T canola oil
2 T fish sauce or to taste
1/4 t raw sugar
2 large banana blossom bracts, use as decorative bowls (optional)
1) Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium high heat.
2) Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
3) Add ground beef and stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
4) Add cabbage and stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
5) Add fish sauce and sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6) Serve the contents with cooked brown rice or white in a banana blossom petal.
*If you do not eat meat then you can leave the beef out. If interested you may substitute by adding 1/2 lb to 1 lb of diced or whole (peeled) shrimp or any sliced firm fish to this recipe. If you are using shrimp or fish you can follow this recipe up to step 3. Remove the shrimp or fish after cooking. Continue with step 4. Add the shrimp or fish back into the pan and proceed with step 5.