Sunday, February 17, 2013

Curried Scallops (serves 2-3)

serve directly from the pan
or plating it for individual serving









My husband and I hate to waste food.  I normally cook all the left over food in the refrigerator...and often times it means thinking up a more creative way to use up the ingredients.  I have a few miscellaneous food items left in my refrigerator from cooking recently.  I decided to add them in this curry dish and it turned out nicely.  This dish was fun to make and certainly brightens another cold and dreary snowy day we are having here in Seacoast New Hampshire!

Yesterday I attended an all day web conference in Durham, NH on "Changing the Way We Eat" hosted by Slow Food UNH.  Thank you Slow Food, UNH!!  One of the speakers, Peter Lehner echoed and reminded me what my husband had told me not long ago that 40% of the U.S. food supply is wasted in America.  Lehner gave us some sad and shameful statistics that $2000 worth of food is not eaten at home per year (not eaten= wasted, thrown out) and that 25 pounds of food is wasted by each person per month!  He also said that 60% of Americans are confused with the expiration date.  Many of us just throw the food out based on the expiration date alone.  I am happy to admit that my family is in the other 40%.  My husband has a very trusty nose so I rely heavily on his good sense! 

 9-10 dry-packed sea scallop, tough muscle fibers removed, sprinkled a little salt and white pepper on each side
About 2 T canola or olive oil (or a mixture)
1 strip of bacon, finely chopped
 2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cardamon seeds, crushed
1/4 C onion
1 t curry powder
1/4 t turmeric powder
1/4 t cumin powder
1/4 t coriander powder
1/3 C dried oyster mushrooms (hydrated and julienned)
1/3 C white button mushrooms, julienned
2 dried shiitake mushrooms (hydrated and julienned)
1/3 C diced pineapple
1/2 C diced tomato
1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
2 T chopped green onion or scallions
1 small can of coconut milk (165 mL)
1 1/4-1 1/3 C cold water (or shrimp broth, fish broth, lobster broth)
2 t fish sauce
1/2 t Better Than Bouillon lobster base
About 1/4 t zest of lime and lemon

Method:

1) Heat 1 T oil in a small pan over medium high or high heat.  Sear the scallops for about 2 minutes on each side.  May add more oil after turning over.  Once done set the scallops aside on a plate and keep warm.
2) Use the same pan, add bacon, garlic, cardamon seeds, onion, curry powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder.  Saute for 1 minute.
3) Stir in all the mushrooms, pineapple, tomato, scallions and cilantro.  Saute for about 2 minute.
4) Add coconut milk, water or broth, fish sauce, and lobster base.  Once the liquid starts to boils turn heat down to medium low and cook for about 6-7 minutes.
5) Turn off heat add the zest and scallops.  Add a little extra chopped fresh scallions on topServe immediately.

seared scallops
another dreary, windy, cold, snowy day in New Hampshire
(BUT it should not prevent you from eating healthy good food!)
*I don't discard the tough muscle fibers of the scallops.  I chop them up and use them for cooking.  Today I chopped these tough fibers up along with a clove of garlic to a fine paste.  I blended in a little egg white (duck egg white is better according to my grandmother) and a pinch of salt.  Mixed everything well and formed little balls or little footballs and cooked these in a broth for about 3 minutes.  They turned out delicious.  This is how my grandmother and mother make shrimp or fish balls.  If you are interested you can certainly add the chopped tough muscle fibers into the curried scallop dish.  You can add it about 2 or 3 minutes before the cooking is done.  
*F/V (fishing vessel) Rimrack is a family owned fishing business located in beautiful Rye Harbor, NH. Thank you Rimrack for the amazingly fresh and tasty sea life!!  Please support and buy from your local fishermen.  If you are interested in buying from F/V Rimrack please visit their website:  
http://www.rimrackfish.com.  Rimrack staff is very friendly and helpful and they will happily assist you. They can also be found on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment