I bought some kangaroo meat recently and I am inspired to create a few dishes from it. The shrimp chips came from Soctrang, Vietnam. I visited my relatives recently and a few of my aunts gave me boxes of shrimp chips to bring back to share with my family. These shrimp chips are the best that I have ever eaten. They are full of shrimp flavor. I think Soctrang makes the best shrimp chips. I used my blow torch to cook the meat and it worked very well. Since the meat was cut into thin strips this method of cooking keeps the meat tender. The result is delicious!
Kangaroo Chips (makes 7 appetizers)
2 pieces of large shrimp chips (break into 7 pieces)
3 thinly sliced kangaroo meat, about 2 inch x 3 inch pieces, cut each piece into 2-3 smaller pieces
1 tsp tartufata--mushrooms, truffles, olives (Tentazioni)
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped scallions
Small pinches of salt
Small pinches of white pepper
1) Break the shrimp chips into pieces and then cook them in oil or in the microwave (if in the microwave you can cook it for about 40-50 seconds over high power depending on the type of microwave you have) and set it aside.
2) In a small pan heat oil and scallions over medium high heat. Sauté for about 30 seconds until the scallions are wilted. Turn off heat and add the tartufata Stir the contents and remove from heat. Cover the pan to keep warm.
2) Spread the kangaroo meat on a heat resistant plate. Sprinkle salt and pepper on one side. Take a blow torch and sear the meat until just cooked. Use another clean dish and flip the meat over onto that plate. Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper on that side and blow torch the meat until just cooked.
3) Spread the meat on top of the shrimp chips.
4) Take a spoon and add a dollop of the scallion-tartufata on top of each of the appetizer.
|shrimp chips--aka bánh phồng tôm in Vietnamese|
(from Soctrang, Vietnam)
(mushrooms, truffles, olives)
*You can serve your appetizers on anything. I prefer to add some colors to my plate for a nice presentation. If you have leaves (such as banana leaves) you can use that and it will look very pretty.