Saturday, April 27, 2013
Truffle-Lemongrass Kangaroo on Shrimp Chips (makes 12 appetizers)
Here are more appetizers inspired by the kangaroo meat and shrimp chips. The previous appetizers were so good I decided to come up with another version of them.
6 oz kangaroo meat, sliced into 2-inch x 1-inch pieces
6 large shrimp chips, break in half
24 asparagus tips, use the first 2 inch of the tips, washed and drained dry
1 C finely shredded red cabbage, washed and drained dry
2 C baby arugula, washed and drained dry
2 1/2 tsp finely chopped lemongrass
1/2 tsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp truffle oil, plus more for drizzling on top of appetizers right before serving
1/4 tsp fish sauce
A pinch of sugar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of white pepper
1) Marinade the sliced kangaroo meat with lemongrass, mirin, 1 tsp truffle oil, fish sauce, and sugar. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
2) Heat a small pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté red cabbage for about 1 minute or until it is slightly wilted. Remove the contents and set aside in a small bowl.
3) Wipe the pan (take care not to burn yourself) and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add the arugula and sauté for about 30 seconds or until it is wilted. Remove the contents and set aside in a small bowl.
4) Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sauté the asparagus for about 2 minutes. Remove the contents and set aside on a plate and cover with a bowl.
5) Cook the shrimp chips either in hot oil or in the microwave. Microwave the chips about 40-50 seconds long (depending on the power of your microwave) or until the chips expand or puff up completely.
6) Spread the marinated kangaroo meat on a heat resistant plate, sprinkle a little of salt and pepper over the top. Blow torch the meat until it is just cooked. Use another clean plate and flip the meat onto that plate. Repeat the process.
7) Line the plate or serving platter with the shrimp chips. You can layer the appetizers however you prefer. I first add a layer of red cabbage, the next layer is the arugula, then the meat, add 2 asparagus tips on top, a little more red cabbage for color, and then drizzle each appetizer with truffle oil.