|braised rabbit and peanuts in olive oil and white wine|
Braised Rabbit and Peanuts in Olive Oil and White Wine (serves 2-3)
1/2 to 1 C raw peanuts
1/2 C olive oil
4 oz chopped raw pancetta
2 garlic, chopped
1 whole rabbit (about 1 lb), cleaned, de-jointed, cut the meat into 1-inch pieces
4 baby bella mushrooms, julienned (about 1 C)
1 C drinking white wine
2 C beef broth (fat free, low sodium)--or add enough to just cover all of the contents
1/8 tsp dried thyme
Thickener (2 tsp cornstarch and 4 tsp water mixture)
1 tsp fish sauce or salt according to your taste
1) Pre-cook the peanuts in water for about 1/2 hour to soften them. Set them aside.
2) Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil, pancetta and garlic, saute about 2-3 minutes. Remove the contents.
3) Add 1/2 of the oil to the pot, start searing the rabbit meat on both sides until all the meat is browned.
4) Add peanuts, pancetta, garlic, mushrooms, cooking wine, broth, the remaining oil to the pot, cover the pot. Turn heat down to low once the liquid comes to a boil. Let the pot simmer for about 45-50 minutes or until the meat is tender to your liking.
5) Add thyme, uncover the pot, turn up the heat a little and let the liquid reduce, about 25 more minutes or to your liking. Add thickener. Add Add fish sauce or salt to taste. Turn off heat.
|de-jointing a rabbit|
*Here are a few photos from this week's weather in Seacoast New Hampshire. Fresh snow is beautiful to observe but can make driving dangerous.