|satay-inpired lamb hearts|
Satay-Inspired Lamb Hearts (serves 2-3--appetizers)
3 lamb hearts, thinly sliced (about 0.50 lb)
15 crushed roasted peanuts
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped lemongrass
1/8 tsp whole anise seeds
2 Tbsp oil (olive, vegetable, canola or peanut)
3 Tbsp chopped onion
2 Tbsp chopped scallions
1 small fresh sweet pepper or chili pepper, de-seeded, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp fish sauce
1/8 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt (if desired)
1) Roast the peanuts, crush and set aside.
2) Thinly slice the lamb hearts and set aside.
3) Gently crush garlic, lemongrass, and anise seeds together (using mortar and pestle or what tool you have in the kitchen) and set aside.
4) Heat a medium size pan with oil over medium high heat.
5) Once the pan is hot, add garlic, lemongrass, anise seeds, onion, scallions, peppers, cumin, and turmeric. Saute for about 2 minutes.
6) Add the hearts to the pan. Saute about a minute.
7) Add fish sauce and sugar and saute until about another minute or until the heart slices are no longer red. Add a pinch of salt if desired. Remove from heat.
8) Sprinkle peanuts on top and serve immediately.
|thinly sliced lamb hearts|
|satay lamb heart on warm baguette slices|
*This recipe is adaptable for any type of meat if you do prefer not to use hearts or do not have access to hearts. The cooking time is dependent on the type and thickness of your meat.