The process of preparing animal tongues can be a bit time consuming especially using small tongues from young animals. However, it is worth the time. If you are interested in consuming tongues you may have to visit your local farmers. I purchased the young goat and lamb tongues from Sherrie, owner of Cracked an Egg Farm in Barrington, NH. Thank you Sherrie!
For this dish I used a few pieces of the sauteed tongue to add to my salad. The result? Well, you have to try this recipe and let me know how it taste!
Arugula & Tomato Salad
A handful of baby arugula
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of tomato slices, seeds removed
1) Mix the arugula into the next 4 ingredients well.
2) Arrange the arugula salad and the tomato slices however you want on your plate.
Sauteed Young Goat & Lamb Tongue
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium size onion, sliced thinly
2 scallions, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
8 young goat and lamb tongues (about 1 lb), cleaned and prepared (instructions follow), cut into 1/2-inch widths
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
Sate or chili pepper (optional)
1) Heat oil in a small pan over medium high heat.
2) Once the pan is hot, add onion, scallions, and ginger. Saute about 2 minutes.
3) Add tongue pieces and garlic. Saute about 2 minutes.
4) Add soy, salt, pepper, sugar, five-spice powder, and sate or chili pepper. Saute about 1 minute or until the tongue pieces are cooked and remove from heat.
*There are many ways to eat this dish. I like it in a salad and on toasted bread.
boiled young animal tongues (need to be peeled)
|prepared young goat and lamb tongues|
1) Wash the tongue well in water, use salt to rub and scrape the tongue with a knife. Rinse well.
2) If using young animal tongues, let them boil for about 10 minutes. For large beef tongues I let it boil for about 30 minutes.
3) Remove and let them cool completely before handling.
4) Once cooled take a sharp knife and peel outer layer of the tongue. Remove and discard any soft tissue located under the tongue.
5) Once peeled, wash it well under cold water and it is ready to be used in cooking.