I have a mismatch of ingredients in the refrigerator and I need to clean out before a trip! I came up with a rendition of my stir fried cabbage with tomato and meat; it's one of my favorite stir fried cabbage dishes. However, with what I have on hand I decided to use bell pepper instead of tomato and added shredded papaya. The result is mighty tasty. Sometimes the best tasting food can be simple and from spontaneous cooking!
The wild boar backstrap came from my secret hunter, T from Maui. I have mentioned him in my previous blog postings. Thank you T for the best fabulous tasty meat!! You have made my meals on Maui so much better this trip!
2 Tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
1/4 onion, chopped or sliced
1/4 lb thinly sliced wild boar backstrap
1/2 red bell pepper (de-seeded and sliced)
2 large handfuls of sliced cabbage
1 large handful of shredded papaya
1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
A pinch of sugar
Freshly ground pepper
1) Heat a pot or pan over medium high heat.
2) Once the pan is hot add oil.
3) Once the oil is heated add garlic and onion. Saute for about a minute.
4) Add meat and saute about 1-2 minutes.
5) Add bell pepper, cabbage and papaya, saute about 5 minutes or until cabbage is wilted to your liking.
6) Add fish sauce, sugar and black pepper and saute for another 2-3 minutes.