|Sauteed Maine Crab Meat|
2 tsp oil
1 small scallion (green part only), chopped
1 garlic, minced
~8 oz crab meat, discard any shell and cartilage pieces
A pinch of salt or a squirt of fish sauce (more or less according to your taste), optional
1) Add oil to a heated pan. Once the pan is hot add scallion and garlic. Saute about 30 seconds to a minute.
2) Add crab meat and salt or fish sauce (if interested), saute gently for about 1-2 minutes.
*This Sauteed Maine Crab Meat has many uses. It is a great filling for delicious whole banh mi or as mini banh mi appetizers. You can also put a little on sliced cucumber, crackers or banh phong tom (shrimp chips) for other tasty appetizers.
|broccoli and Maine crab soup|
1 tsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 lb 12 oz prepared broccoli crowns and stalks (keep crowns and stalks in separate piles), washed*
5 cups water (or use no salt or low sodium chicken broth)
Sauteed Maine Crab Meat (see recipe above)
1 1/2-2 Tbsp fish sauce (use more or less according to your taste)
Freshly ground black or white pepper, optional
1) Boil water or broth in a medium to large pot, blanch broccoli stalks for about 3-4 minutes then scoop them out and set aside. Add broccoli crowns and blanch for about 1 minute then scoop them out and set aside.
2) Remove pot from heat and let water or broth cool.
3) Heat a small pan over medium high heat. Add oil once the pan is hot. Saute onion and garlic for about 2 minutes and set aside.
4) In a blender add 1/2 of blanched broccoli, 1/2 sauteed onion/garlic, and 1/2 cooled water or broth. Puree this until well blended. Repeat for the other half of broccoli, onion/garlic and water or broth.
5) Use the same pot (for blanching broccoli) and pour the blended mixture into it.
6) Heat the pot over medium high heat and add Sauteed Maine Crab Meat (see above) and fish sauce. Avoid letting the contents boil. Once everything is heated thoroughly turn off heat. Add freshly ground pepper to individual bowl if interested.
*I prepared my broccoli crowns and stalks by cutting the stalk off each crown. I peel the outer layer of each stalk since this layer is tough. I also peel the outer layer at the base of each crown. I store them in a plastic bag and refrigerated. When ready to use I take them out and wash a few times. Sometimes when I am busy I prepared broccoli and other vegetables ahead to save time later.
*If you want to make this creamy without adding dairy add 1-2 cups of coconut milk to step 6.
|my mother usually purchases|
1 or 2 five-gallon buckets of
live Maine crabs
from her fishermen friends