|stir-fried Brussels sprouts with ground pork|
I have to admit, it was years ago but looking back it seems like yesterday, when I did not know how to cook these sprouts. I had never eaten them before and had never seen anyone cooking them. When I first knew about these I thought, how cute, these look like baby cabbages! I thought I could quickly stir fry them like most vegetables. How silly and to be honest, they came out tasting awful and inedible. I was not able to sink my teeth into any of them! I think I just threw the whole thing out. Talk about a big waste of food, money, and time.
My father-in-law who was born and raised in Holland remembers fondly his Dutch mother scoring the ends of the sprouts in an X in order to let the bitterness out during cooking. I now do this when I cook whole sprouts in honor of this woman who I have never met. Whether it truly takes the bitterness out I cannot tell.
Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Ground Pork (serves 3-4)
30 (about 1.3 lbs) Brussels sprouts, trimmed the ends, halved, washed well
2 tsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
4 oz sliced bacon
1/2 lb ground pork, break into bits
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated, washed well, cut off stems, sliced
1 cup Brussels sprouts liquid*
1 Tbsp good chicken powder
1) In a large pot over high heat, add the Brussels sprouts and enough water to just cover them. Once the liquid boils turn the heat slightly lower and cover the pot. Cook about 5 minutes or until the sprouts are somewhat soft to your liking. Remove the sprouts into a bowl and reserve about 1 cup of the liquid*. Discard the rest of the liquid.
2) Turn heat to medium high. In the same pot add oil, garlic and bacon. Stir occasionally and cook for about 2 minutes.
3) Add pork and cook about 2 minutes, stir occasionally.
4) Add carrots and mushrooms. Cook about 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
5) Add sprouts, sprouts liquid, and chicken powder. Cook for about another 1-2 minutes.
|stalk of Brussels sprouts|