Here is a vegetarian dish that I made for my grandmother. Often times this sauce is made to pour over fried fish. However, I made it with fried tofu. My grandmother ate this and gave me her 'OK' approval.
3 Tbsp oil
3 pieces of deep fried tofu (2 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch each)
2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
1 shallot, chopped
3-4 small tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1 sprig of fresh scallion, chopped
About 1/2 cup water
1) Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add 3 tablespoons of oil.
2) Fry the tofu until golden brown (Re-fry until heated through if already fried). Remove from heat. Discard half of the oil.
3) Add garlic and shallots. Saute about 30 seconds to a minute.
4) Add tomatoes, celery, cilantro, scallions, and about 1/2 cup water. May turn heat slightly lower. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the tomato pieces are soft.
5) Season with sugar and soy to taste. May add a little water if the sauce gets too dry.
6) Add the fried tofu back into the pan and cook for about a minute on each side.
*If you prefer a thicker (instead of watery as in this recipe) sauce you may add a little mixture of water and cornstarch to the end of step 4.
|travel gear for women in Vietnam (2015)|
|my biker chick cousins (2015)|