I still have some left over fermented tofu from making Vit Nau Chao (Fermented Tofu Hot Pot). I made a stir fried water spinach with fermented tofu last week using only the tips and I cut everything into 1/2 inch lengths for my grandmother. It turned out tasty and I wanted to make it again. Luckily I came across some tasty looking water spinach (rau muong in Vietnamese) at the An Trach Market!
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 1/2 lbs water spinach (or rau muong in Vietnamese), tough parts or damaged leaves discarded
1/4 cup water
3 to 3/2 Tbsp fermented tofu (or chao in Vietnamese)
2 tsp sugar (or according to your taste)
1) Heat a large pan or wok over high heat. Add oil once the pan or wok is hot.
2) Add garlic. Saute for about a minute.
3) Add water spinach and saute about 5 minutes or until wilted.
4) Mix water, fermented tofu in a small bowl. Mash the tofu pieces well.
5) Stir this mixture into the pan or wok and cook for another 2 minutes.
|fermented tofu (chao)|