Green Papaya and Carrot Soup (serves 4 as part of a shared meal)
About 2 lbs pork bones
Enough water to cover all the bones and papaya and carrot (I used about 8 cups of water)
1/2 large green papaya, peeled, cut into bite size
1 large carrot, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch rings
1 bunch scallion, cut into 1 inch lengths
1) In a pot add just enough water to cover the pork bones. Gently boil the bones for about 5 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and clean the bones with cold water. Wash the pot.
3) Return the bones to the clean pot. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes uncover. Skim and discard any foam or impurities that float to the top.
4) Add carrots, cook for about 5 minutes.
5) Add papaya and cook until everything is soft enough to pierce with a fork (about another 10-15 minutes) or to your preference.
6) Add scallions and season with fish sauce and salt.
|dark clouds over West Maui and sugar cane field (Maui, 2016)|
|new moon after sunset on Haleakala (Maui, 2016)|
|So have you ever wonder what's at the end of a rainbow?|
Well, this is it. A clump of trees!