|Little caps sprouting on the block. I prop this (block) on 4 chopsticks|
in order to yield more mushrooms.
|2 days later (glad that I prop this on sticks!!)|
|home grown shiitake mushrooms|
|fresh asparagus: peel 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the base of each stalk|
and trim off the woody end
(this process will yield more asparagus!)
|cut each asparagus stalk into 1 to 1 1/2 inch lengths|
|cut vegetable pieces (asparagus, bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms)|
|cleaned whole squid|
|cut the squid into bite size pieces|
|stir-fried chicken, squid, and four vegetables|
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
About 1 Tbsp grated ginger
4 pieces of boneless chicken thigh fillet (about 12 oz), cut into bite size pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into bite size pieces
1 orange bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into bite size pieces
1 lb asparagus, peeled the ends (roughly the last 2 inches of the base), trimmed, and cut into about 1 to 1 1/2-inch lengths
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 15 mushrooms), trimmed the tip of the stems and cut in half
7 squid (about 13 oz), cleaned, cut into bite size pieces (see How to Clean Squid post)
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp crushed sea salt
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water (thickener)
1) Heat a large wok (pan or pot) over high heat. Add oil.
2) Add garlic, grated ginger and chicken. Saute about 2 minutes.
3) Add peppers and saute about a minute.
4) Add asparagus and saute about 3 minutes or until the interior of the asparagus is somewhat cooked.
5) Add squid, season with sugar, salt, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir and cook about a minute.
6) Add cornstarch mixture and cook another 1-2 minutes until the squid pieces curl up and turn opaque. Stir and turn off heat.