|stuffed baby eggplants|
|stuffed baby eggplants--ready to be cooked|
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup sliced or chopped dried tomato (about 3 whole dried)
1.3 lbs ground turkey (or another meat of your choice)
2 fresh tomatoes, diced (about 1 1/3 cup diced with seeds)
2-3 sprigs of fresh oregano (about 2 Tbsp chopped)
1 tsp chicken broth powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed sea salt
2 lbs baby eggplants, washed, quartered but leave about 1/4 of the base intact
2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
8 oz feta cheese, diced
1) Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add oil.
2) Once the oil is got add onions, scallions, dried tomatoes. Saute about 2 minutes.
3) Add turkey. Break into small pieces and cook about a minute. Turn off heat and add fresh tomatoes, oregano, chicken broth, pepper, and salt. Stir well. Keep the pan over the hot stove.
4) Quartered the eggplants nearly to the base. Try to leave about 1/4 of the base intact so the eggplants will still be whole--resembling a flower.
5) Stuff each eggplant with as much of the stuffing as possible.
6) Line the stuffed eggplants in a large pot. Pour the rest of the stuffing over the eggplants. Add water or broth. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top. Cook over the stove top over medium high. Once the liquid comes to a boil, cover the pot, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for about 1 hour or until the eggplants are soft to your liking. At the last 10 minutes of cooking remove the cover. Let the liquid reduce a little.