Rau Dang Bien Xao Toi (Stir Fried Ocean Bitter Herb with Garlic)–serves 2-3 as part of a shared meal
You can also check my previous posting on another similar herb, Bitter Herb and Snakehead Soup (Canh Rau Dang va Ca Loc)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 200 grams (about 7 oz) rau dang bien (ocean bitter herb), tough ends discarded, cut into 3 inch lengths if interested
- A few squirts of fish sauce
- A pinch of sugar
1) Heat a pan or wok over high heat.
2) Add oil once the pan or wok is hot.
3) Add garlic. Saute about 30 seconds to a minute.
4) Add bitter herb. Saute about 2 minutes or until the stems and leaves are wilted.
5) Season with fish sauce and sugar. Saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat.
*You may wash any left over vegetables, drain off the water and store in a clean bag in the refrigerator. They can be kept fresh for up to 2 days.
*As with any of the stir fried dishes you may add meat or seafood. You may add them after step 3. Once the meat or seafood is cooked you may remove them and return them at the end of step 4.